Our Peer & Pro Tutors comprise the majority of our staff and tutor students in everything from 1st grade reading to linear algebra and organic chemistry. They possess raw brilliance but also empathize and communicate well.
One-to-one private tutoring occurs either at our office or in a client’s home. No car is required for tutors who work out of our office just north of the Rice Village.
This position benefits from flexible hours and assignments. If hired, Tutors can decide when, how long, and with whom they want to work.
Tutors are also invited to contribute to our publications by writing lessons and questions for ISEE, ACT, and SAT test preparation plus math and English courses. Contributing tutors are guaranteed a minimum number of hours.
We do not accept applications in person or discuss applications over the phone.
The Lead Tutor is a full-time educator primarily charged with tutoring in-office students in addition to recruiting and training other tutors. The Lead Tutor reports to the General Manager and has following roles:
- Tutor in-office students
- Recruit and train tutors
- Write and maintain instructional and training materials
We seek the brightest, most charismatic would-be tutors to join our exceptional team of high achievers. In exchange for your extraordinary talent, we offer high pay, great clients, and a fun, flexible work environment.
General Academic is much more than a tutoring company. More than 100,000 families benefit from our freely available school research or study with our learning content through online courses published at edtech partner Piqosity.com.
Roles and Responsibilities
The Lead Tutor’s primary responsibilities can be defined within three categories:
1. Teach Students (70% of time)
- Tutor students 1-to-1 in subjects including advanced math, science, ACT, and SAT
- Teach test prep courses in subjects like ISEE, ACT, and SAT
- Counsel students in college readiness
2. Recruit and Train Tutors (15%)
- Manage ongoing recruiting efforts including online advertisements and on-campus recruiting
- Onboard and train new tutor hires
- Support existing tutors on an ad-hoc basis and in regular trainings
3. Write and Maintain Tutoring and Training Material (15%)
- Update existing and write new tutor training material
- Liase with Content Team to ensure existing instructional content is used effectively
- Update existing and write new student instructional material
Schedule and Compensation
The Lead Tutor is generally expected to work in-office Monday-Thursday 2-9pm and Sundays 10 to 6pm.
Schedule flexibility is possible particularly with late mornings and academic holiday periods like spring break, summer, and winter break.
The start date of this role is flexible but will be ideally no later than October 1, 2022. Base salary is dependent on education and experience but will be in the range of $40,000 to $50,000.
Full Benefits Include:
- 3 Weeks of Paid Time Off
- 10 Federal Holidays
- PPO Health Insurance
- Retirement Plan
- Annual Bonuses and Promotions